Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dachau

We took a suburban train today to Dachau. We got a little lost which, at the start of this adventure would have really upset me, but now it's no big deal. We take it all in stride. It was a pretty hot day. There were lots of school groups visiting. One of the groups was from India I think. It reminded me of being back in school.

Actually, on this trip we've seen lots of school groups in every city. I can't imagine taking kids to another country. I've also noticed that they don't have nearly as much supervision as we are required to have. I'm not sure what I think about that.

Dachau was eerie and lonely and dark. The walls, towers, main building, and one set of prisoners baracks are all that remain on the compound.


There is a sign in the gate at the entrance that reads, "Work will set you free."


Also, just outside is the crematorium. You could go inside and see the gas chamber and the cremation furnaces. I could barely stand to be inside.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment