Monday, August 26, 2013

Farmer John - baby food

I've made a few meals for Sadie with veggies from my farmer @eaglecreekfarms. So I thought I would share these recipes too. I must say, it also feels really good to share this deliciousness with my baby. I mean, part of the reason why I've gotten so into local food and organic farming is because I want to live more sustainably for my kids, not to mention I want to minimize my kid's exposure to harmful chemicals. After all, they have their whole lives ahead of them to bioaccumulate toxins...

My first baby food recipe was a mixture of carrots (3), parsnips (2) and swiss chard (3 leaves, ribs removed).

The next one was a mixture of carrots (3), potato (1 mid sized), and broccoli (1 floret and the stalk, peeled).

For both recipes I peeled, chopped, and boiled on the stove with a little water until the carrots were fork-tender. Then I cooled the mixture, cooking liquid included, and whizzed in a food processor until they were well pureed. I had to add a little water to get it to the right consistency. Too little water and the puree won't be smooth. Sadie's not quite ready for the chunky foods yet.

With all my baby food recipes, I freeze whatever she won't eat in the next day or 2 in ice cube trays. Once frozen, I put the cubes into a freezer bag and thaw as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment