Sunday, July 28, 2013

Farmer John - Pulled Pork/Cilantro Quesadillas

I made a pulled pork dinner in the slow cooker setting of my oven, since my slow cooker sucks so bad I think I may have trashed it.  I have a pretty nice oven that has a slow cooker setting... hence why I think I may have thrown out my slow cooker that burned everything I cooked in it - thanks Airmiles.

Anyway...

The Pulled Pork recipe comes from a book called "150 best Slow Cooker Recipes" by Judith Finlayson. I have not tried every recipe in this book but the ones i have have been AWESOME!!!  How could you go wrong?

1tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cracked black peppercorns
1 cup tomato-based chilli sauce (I used Co-op brand, but the book recommends Heinz-57 sauce)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp Worcesterhire sauce
1 3lb boneless pork shoudler

First, cut up the onions and fry in a skillet with the oil until soft, then add garlic, chili powder and pepper for 1 minute. Add chilli sauce, broen sugar, vinegar and worestershire sauce. Stir and bring to the boil.

Put the pork (mine was actually frozen) into a 4 quart dutch oven and pour sauce over. Cook on the slow cooker setting for 10-12 hours (low) or 6 hours (high), until pork is falling apart.

Remove pork and shred with two forks. Return to sauce and keep warm.

---

We had this on buns with coleslaw the first night I cooked it. The next day I had some friends coming over for lunch so I made some quesadilas with the pulled pork, Monterey Jack cheese and cilantro from @eaglecreekfarms . They were delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment